Civic monitoring on the progress of Bulgaria and Romania towards accession to the Schengen Area
Period of implementation: March 2010 – January 2011
The project aims to monitor the performance of official commitments made by Romania and Bulgaria to join the Schengen area. The Romanian Center for European Policies will monitor the situation in Romania while the Open Society Institute – Sofia will handle the case of Bulgaria.
The purpose of the civic monitoring is to disclose to the European public in general and the Romanian public in particular Romania’s state of preparedness to join the Schengen area.
Civic monitoring will focus on two directions:
1. Romania’s progress in preparation in the following areas:
a. Police cooperation
b. Borders (air, land, sea)
c. Protection of data
e. The Schengen Information System
2. Absorption of funds allocated through the Schengen Facility:
- Analysis of the objectives financed by the Schengen Facility;
- The rate of absorption of funds allocated;
- The level of implementation of the projects financed
The project is developed in partnership with the Open Society Institute – Sofia.
Donor: Open Society Institute-Europe